22 Jan Day 18: Seek to Show Hospitality
Steve and Grace Kaczowka
Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality (Romans 12:13)
As we pray and fast together, focusing on the Lord’s call for us to live sacrificial lives, we see the Lord calling us specifically to provide for the needs of others and welcoming them into our lives through hospitality. Hospitality is the ability to unselfishly meet the needs of others by receiving and welcoming visitors into your home in a way that creates a safe and a comfortable atmosphere for them.
- Pursue Jesus’ Example: Many times, throughout His ministry, Jesus gave specific commands to care for the poor, the sick, the widow, and the vulnerable children. (Proverbs 14:31, Psalm 41:1, Deuteronomy 10:18, James 1:27.) But we also must care for our fellow believers as part of God’s church (John 13:34-35).
- Consider Your Resources: Generosity in our resources and time means we sacrifice spending our resources and time how we want to for the good of someone else (Acts 2:45, Exodus 36:5).
- Put Others First: Intentionally putting another first follows the command of Jesus in Matthew 20:16. Remember Jesus’ upside-down view He shares with his disciples in how we should approach our responsibility to care for others.
We don’t need to be perfect to show hospitality; our homes do not need to be bigger, nicer, or cleaner to show love to those God has placed in our lives. We just need to be there and open our lives to them… mess and all. Everything we have is from the Lord, it is not ours to begin with, so let us give willingly from the overflow of our hearts in what He has done for us (James 1:17-19).
- Ask the Lord to show you the needs around you, and for a heart to give sacrificially in the ways He calls you to. Ask Him for wisdom in how you can specifically help.
- Ask the Lord to create margin and time in your days, weeks, and months to care for others out of the overflow of what He has given you. Spend extra time in prayer for those in our community and church.
- Practical Steps: The needs we met during the holiday season do not disappear in the new year. Seek out ways to help the community with those in your lighthouse: have a meal in your home and share the Gospel with neighbors!