19 Jan Day 15: Let Love be Genuine
Let love be genuine. Abhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good. Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor (Romans 12:9-10).
Let love be genuine. Let love be real, sincere, and authentic. Today in our time of prayer and fasting, we seek to offer up our lives and bodies as a living sacrifice by pursuing a genuine love for one another. We know that the opposite of genuine is counterfeit. If our love is not genuine, then it is not really love at all, rather a fake or counterfeit love. Paul urges us to let our love be genuine because we can’t offer our whole bodies as a living sacrifice while having a counterfeit love. Two steps to produce a genuine love:
- Brotherly affection. To love with a brotherly affection means to have a devoted love. We are going out of our way, and above the minimum to love those in our lives, giving our time, energy, and resources to this brotherly love. Note that this is a self-sacrificing love that requires intentional action. We are all in, willing to love when it is not easy or convenient in our own lives.
- Showing honor. If we are seeking to outdo one another in showing honor, it postures our hearts and minds in a position expecting to serve and not be served. The idea of outdoing one another keeps us actively searching, not passively waiting, for opportunities to honor others above ourselves.
- Pray for the lost in our lives and in the Falls Church community to know that we are followers of Christ because of our genuine love for one another and those around us. “By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another” (John 13:35).
- Ask the Lord to reveal areas in our lives where you might be settling for a self-seeking or fake love. Repent in these areas and ask for opportunities to show honor and brotherly affection, producing a genuine love where there was once a counterfeit love.
- Practical Steps: Ask the Lord for his power to produce a genuine love in your life today. Think of someone right now who you will cross paths within the next 24 hours who you can honor and serve above yourself.